Director of Marketing
We’re hiring a director of marketing because we need one to help us accomplish our mission as a company. That mission is to help our clients grow revenue by $100 million. We believe that humans are built to make things. And one of the best ways to get more people making things is to show them how to sell their products and services so they can dedicate more time and money to creating even more awesome things.
That’s why our mission is helping our clients grow their revenue by $100 million per year. It’s a measure of the impact we’re having and how effective we are as a company.
And that is where you come in!
We’ve maxed out what we are capable of doing without a Director of Marketing. As the founder, I’ve been the de facto marketing leader for 5 years. However, I’ve reached the limit of the impact I’m capable of having. You are smarter. You are more focused. And you can steer the “marketing ship” towards our goal better than I can.
That is why finding the right fit for this role is the company’s #1 priority.
We’ve been active online marketing practitioners for 6 years. Along the way, we’ve done a lot of fun and creative projects that any marketing geek will have their heart warmed by:
1. 24-Hour Product Challenges: Where we built a product from scratch in 24 hours and sold it, all while live streaming the entire process.
2. Tool Partnerships: We built entire Saas products from scratch in order to land marketing partnerships with large companies in our industry.
If this kind of testing and creativity in marketing the type of thing you geek out on, keep reading!
This role is important because without you we will not have the ability to continue expanding our training programs and tools. We need you to step into the marketing machine we have and make it better. Improve our approach, build upon what we’ve started, invent new and better techniques. And, most of all, have fun helping people turn their ideas into thriving businesses and then work with those businesses to grow them.
What will you learn in this role?
If you come from the traditional offline marketing world or a standard marketing agency, our pace of innovation, action taking and iteration might be uncomfortable for you. You’ll learn how to move fast, iterate quickly, and put zero value into sunk cost. You'll also get to finally spread your wings, get rid of the red tape and do your thing.
If you come from a large cooperation or have a bloated management structure where you are now, this will feel like the first day out of prison after a 10-year stint.
If you come from the start-up world or are a founder yourself, this will feel like a dream in which you can just focus on building the marketing team and marketing engine you've always wanted.
If you are in marketing but have never taken on a Director role, this could be the opportunity you've been looking for. While we would love to have someone that's already "done it". We're 100% open to giving the perfect fit the opportunity they've been waiting on.
There is 0 red tape at Growth Tools. We don’t care about how other people have always done things, how you have always done things, or what anyone's SOP is. What we care about is: 1) you loving what you do every day and waking up excited to do it; and 2) our students’ and clients’ successes. We ruthlessly measure both of those on a daily basis.
In this role you will learn:
1. How to lead the marketing strategy for the company. You'll be looking for the small hinges that swing big doors. Total marketing geek. Total spreadsheet nerd. Experimenting junkie. Obsessed with hitting your KPIs.
2. How to be the hardest of hardcore operators who loves being in the weeds, writing marketing copy, setting up martech, and tracking everything so you know what’s working and what’s not.
3. How to eat and breathe project management and team leadership. The idea of growing a world-class marketing team makes you foam at the mouth and the ability to do it your way sounds like heaven on earth.
You’ll walk away from your time at Growth Tools having grown and led the most effective, fun and innovative marketing team the online marketing training industry has ever seen.
Who will you work with?
You will work directly with me, Bryan Harris, the CEO. Your team will start with you as the only full-time employee. You’ll lead a talented group of long-time contractors for our team.
For the first 6 to 12 months you will be the only marketing employee. You’ll have access to and be given a budget to hire the best freelancers and agencies available. As you enter year 2, you will start building out your internal marketing team.
You’ll also interact with all of our core team members on a regular basis. That includes Chris (Director of Engineering), Bethany (Director of Hospitality), and Jeff (Director of Education).
Where will you work?
We all work remotely and are scattered around North America from Vancouver to Cleveland, and Nashville to Birmingham. That means you have the flexibility to work from home or a coworking location, or to take the family to Peru for the summer and work from your terrace overlooking the Andes Mountains.
We don’t micromanage you. Rather, as the Director of Marketing, we expect you to be a leader in every way. You will be a daily “in-the-weeds” practitioner as well as strategizing, leading and building your team.
You will own 3 numbers as the Director of Marketing:
1. Gross revenue
2. New leads per month
3. Relationship with the Growth Tools audience
What does Growth Tools do and why?
Growth Tools provides the tools and trainings to help online businesses double their revenue in 1 year. Our tools consist of 10 SaaS products that we give away for free. Our trainings consist of a 1:1 coaching business, Growth University, and a series of 4-week online classes, Accelerator.
We believe that the world is a better place when people create and those creations are shared.
Example: I looooove Allbird shoes.
Guess how Allbirds came to exist? A dude, Tim Brown, had the idea for them. And he had enough gumption and know-how to go out and actually make them. Now Allbirds is one of the most successful upstart shoe brands from the past 5 years.
The world is a better place when every Tim out there turns their ideas into real-life products.
That’s why our goal is to generate $100 million in revenue for our clients. That is our measurement that these creations are being shared and real value is being generated as a result.
Do you want to be on the front lines and directly involved with growing some of the coolest and most innovative companies in the world?
If you are interested in leading our marketing, building a team of word-class marketers and changing the lives of 1000s of students over the next 5 years, I look forward to talking to you.
- You love building marketing teams and being left alone so you can produce results.
- Your are a complete marketing nerd who has been looking for a role like this for years.
- You are a great copywriter (and love the research and discovery process needed to write amazing copy).
- You love being in the weeds executing a marketing campaign.
- You love working on overall marketing strategy.
- Ideally you have 5+ years of experience growing and leading a marketing team.
- Ideally you have previously grown sales from $2 million to $15+ million.
- Work from anywhere (we're 100% remote)
- Occasional travel, such as quarterly on-site meetings
- Salary & bonus: $150k - $200k+ per year
- Health, vision and dental insurance for you and your family
- Unlimited vacation (mandated 1 week/yr)
- Unlimited education allowance
- Unlimited equipment allowance
- $100/mo. reimbursable personal/marriage counseling